Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Toddler Breakfasts


My little guy goes through food phases.  There are some days where he will scarf down new foods without hesitation, some days where he holds out for yogurt and goldfish, and some days in between.  While I want him to eat a balanced diet every day, he sometimes has other plans.  I continue to offer him a variety of food choices, even on the days when I feel like I fix him 12 different meals!
 
Here are some of my go-to breakfasts: 
 
Yogurt - quite possibly his most favorite food. Period.  He will eat almost any brand, almost any flavor.  And ... he will eat mass quantities!  So for economic purposes, the giant containers of yogurt make consistent appearances at my house.  We are currently eating strawberry Yoplait.
 
Oatmeal - I love how this breakfast option sticks with him longer than yogurt.  This is one of the foods, however, that is hit or miss.  Some days he will eat a whole bowl of oatmeal.  Other days, he will stop after one bite.  I can't predict which mood he will be in, so I often have oatmeal leftovers in my fridge.  (makes for a good mid-morning snack!)  After looking for a pattern, I think that when he refuses oatmeal for breakfast, he is really in the mood for cereal.  Which brings me to...
 
Cereal - This is my little guy's new favorite food!  He loves to eat cereal!  Some mornings, he will eat his cereal and then part of mine!  His all-time favorite is Fruit-in-the-Middle Frosted Mini-Wheats.  I'm good with this!  Lots of good stuff in that cereal and minimal sugar frosting!  I just break each piece in half, cover with whole milk, and let him eat!
 
Here was a breakfast flop:

 
I think this looks amazing! Mandarin Oranges, Peaches, baby goldfish, and a few lime pieces in the middle.  He will eat all of these things separately, so I thought I'd make him a breakfast that looked fancy.  He did not touch anything but the goldfish... fail!
 
What about you?  What are your kids' favorite breakfast foods?  What's been a breakfast flop?

No comments:

Post a Comment